Friday, October 17, 2008

Oh! An' Another Thing....


I was experimenting with some of the genealogy tools. Scots are great ones for their genealogy. There is a great scene in “Kidnapped” where Davie Balfour meets Robin Oig-son of Rob Roy MacGregor . David mentions that he does not know much about his family and Robin utters something touching aboot his being "only some kinless loon that didn't know his own father." Robin is quite the one for words, eh! Anyway, I tried “My Heritage”, “Geni”, and “Amiglia”. One I couldn’t get into, but “I’ve got a grand memory for forgettin’ ” sae I canna tell ye which it’twas. The genealogy tools seemed nice but not much help with any of my searches. I can see how they would be great if customers coming in to do research used them and we could look at what they have together. We have worked with some of the other tools in the short list already so I feel that I’ve done my bit here.
All this talkin’ aboot genealogy reminds me of my Gran’da’s cousin Seamus (twice removed on his sisters’ mother’s side). One night he awoke tae an a’fu keening. He was sure it wa’ a frisky haggis crooning for a cuddle. So he tak’ his new Kodak Instamatic camera and went oot tae photograph the wee rascal. It was pit mirk an’ a moonless nicht so he aimed the Kodak at the ruckus an’ clicked the shutter. There was a general scuffle as the creature departed. When the camera spit out the photo, Seamuss realized that he had surprised a Wyckie with a sma’ set o’bagpipes. The photo is a bit fuzzy, like a’ the other famous pictures of Big Foot and Scotland’s own Nessie! So it must be the genuine article. An’ noo' it’s on the internet so it must be true!

No comments: